Saturday, March 1, 2008

Death of a Favorite

I'm one of those folks who can't seem to find a protein shake/drink or bar that works for me. Either they are just plain nasty, they have too strong a protein taste, or they just have too danged many carbs in them. And, of course, there are many that are just too freaking expensive per serving! I am very hard to please when it comes to protein bars. First, I want at least one gram of protein PER gram of net carbs. And "net carbs" to me is carbs minus fiber grams, none of that glycemic impact crap! So, if a bar has 22 grams of net carbs but only 15 grams of protein, it is NOT going in my shopping cart. Next, I don't want 300+ calories from a protein bar even when eaten in place of a meal. So, to me, the perfect protein bar has somewhere between 170 and 250 calories. BUT, if it has a LOT of protein and less carbs than protein and can be split in half and still meet my requirements, then it will work. A good example of this is one I tried last month. It is a Detour Joyride bar. Flavor was coconut almond and it had about 340 calories, but had 30 grams of protein and 25 net carbs. SO, 1/2 of that bar would be 170 calories, 15 grams of protein, and about 13 carbs. The downfall of that one? The taste is only so-so in my book. It is okay, but not really anything to write home about. It has only a mild protein taste, but not a whole lot of other flavor/taste going for it. Would I buy it again? Maybe...

My all time favorite protein bar to date is an Atkins Advantage bar. The flavor is chocolate coconut. This bar has 230 calories, 13 net carbs (with a whopping 10 grams of fiber) and 19 grams of protein. I love 'em and I could buy them locally! They taste nothing at all like a protein bar--more like a coconut macaroon dipped in chocolate... They are so good that they are being discontinued! Well, that isn't what Atkins is telling folks, but they ARE discontinuing this flavor for some reason. And, it means that I now have to go on a search for a protein bar I can stand or perhaps even like so that I'll have an on-the-go option for protein meal replacement. The search is on!

I have tried the Atkins Advantage chocolate peanut butter bars. They are okay. No real protein taste to speak of, but just not my chocolate coconut I love so dearly! I've also tried the Atkins Advantage Caramel Double Chocolate ones which are a bit smaller and have a bit less calories, carbs, and protein. They are pretty good, but again not my chocolate coconut! Why, oh why did I have to find that darned bar! Now no other bar can measure up for my taste buds! LOL

Before you suggest them, I've also tried the Oh Yeah wafers and feel they have far too much protein taste in the pasty stuff between the wafer layers. I've tried Power Crunch in French Vanilla, Cookies and Cream, and the Peanut Butter Creme. They are okay, but leave me with a bit of a greasy feel to my mouth. I've tried a few others, but nothing comes close to measuring up to my tastes and needs in a bar so far. This evening, I ordered a box of a another one of the Atkins Advantage bars. I ordered the Caramel Double Peanut Nougat ones. Any of you tried those?? Please tell me they taste just like a Snickers bar! I am SO craving one of those just about now!

No comments:

Powered by WebRing®.