This one will be a revision of a recipe I got from a daily recipe email newsletter. I didn't like their core meatloaf recipe... Sorry, but it wasn't working for me! So, what you are getting is basically my favorite meatloaf recipe and the addition of the filling idea... Here goes!
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
2 medium to large eggs, slightly beaten
1 packet dry onion soup mix (I prefer the Lipton onion-mushroom)
1/3 cup ketchup of your choice (regular or low carb or no sugar, whatever!)
1 or 2 slices of yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup tap water
10 oz package frozen chopped spinach (defrosted and drained well)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
3 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
additional ketchup for coating top of finished meatloaf
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Put meatloaf ingredients into a bowl and mix lightly but thoroughly with fork or fingers.
3) Combine filling ingredients in a separate bowl and set aside.
4) On waxed paper, pat the beef mixture out into a 14" x 10" rectangle.
5) Leaving a 3/4 inch space around the edges, spread the filling mixture out over the beef layer.
6) Working from a short end, roll the meat/filling layers up jelly-roll fashion.
7) At both ends of the roll, press the beef layers together over the filling to close the loaf up.
8) Place seam side down in roasting pan (can place on a rack in a meat roasting pan).
9) Bake about 1 hour and then pour off any fat/grease in bottom of pan.
10) Coat outside of loaf with the ketchup topping and place back in oven for about 15 more minutes (till completely done).
11) Remove from oven and can sprinkle with about a 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese if available.
12) Slice into 1 inch slices and serve!