Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Recipe--Sausage 4 Bean Veggie Stew

So, this started out as a soup recipe over on OH. It sounded good, but I didn't have all the ingredients, so--as so often happens around here, I got to thinking about what I did have on hand and how close I could get! Here's the original recipe ingredients... Remember, I didn't have all these items on hand...

1# sweet italian sausage w/o casing
10 cups chicken broth
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 med. carrots chopped
1 stalk celery chopped
4oz. dried pinto beans
4oz. dried navy beans
4oz. dried red kidney beans
6oz. sundried tomatoes sliced thin
1/2 cup grated parmesaen cheese

SO, here's what I did... First, I browned up a 1 1/2 pound package of freshly ground pork sausage AND a 1 pound roll of turkey sausage. This was scooped out onto paper towels to drain off the teensy bit of grease it produced. Then, I put 1/2 of the 2 1/1 pounds of browned sausage into my soup pot. To that, I added the following: 2 hearty handfuls of dry brown/pinto beans 2 hearty handfuls of dry great northern beans 3 very large carrots, washed and sliced into 3/4 inch thick slices 1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut into large wedges Everglades Seasoning to taste seasoned salt to taste 2 cans low sodium chicken broth a bit more than a quart of warm water I got all this stirred up and brought to a boil. Then, I turned the heat down to medium-low and let it simmer for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. After 2 hours of simmering, I added the following: 1 can stewed tomatoes 1 can whole kernel corn, drained 1 pint home-canned tomatoes I then stirred the pot well and let it simmer for another hour or so. After that, I added the following: 1 can red kidney beans, unrinsed and undrained 1 can green beans, drained I then stirred it all up again and let it simmer till it was all done and yummy... It smelled divine! And it tasted yummo! Here's a shot while still in the pot!
The starch from the beans and veggies was more than enough to make this a nice, thick stew without need for any other thickening... I did not use any sundried tomatoes and did not add any cheese... I sort of wish I'd added some fresh green pepper when I added the last two cans of beans. Either way, it was a great dinner!

No comments:

Powered by WebRing®.