Thursday, August 7, 2008

Recipe: Choco Coconut Pecan Protein Ice Cream

I didn't have any strawberries on hand to make the strawberry cheesecake protein ice cream recipe that I wanted to try so bad, so I experimented instead!
Here's what I mixed in there:

1 scoop Muscle Milk Light chocolate milk flavor
2 scoops IDS belgian chocolate protein powder
2 1/2 cups of 2% milk

Now you could use 3 scoops of your favorite chocolate protein powder, but these are what I used. I mixed those up good with my stick blender (immersion blender) and set that to chilling in the ice cream maker. Then, I took a small bowl and dumped in about 1/8 cup mini chocolate chips, about 1/8 cup coconut flakes, and about 1/8 cup pecan pieces. I added those after the ice cream was already starting to stick to the blade.

The judge of this fine concoction was my 16 year old daughter who shuddered at the thought of wasting a perfectly good ice cream maker by putting PROTEIN powder in there! So, after the ice cream finished blending, I put it in a plastic bowl with a lid and stuck it in the freezer for later. Well, when I went to take a bite, the contents had CLEARLY been attacked prior to my arrival. I said, "Mandy, have you been in the ice cream?" She told me that she wanted a taste and to see if it was an "aquired taste" or if she could "stand to eat it..." She had eaten at least 1/2 a cup, so I guess it isn't just an acquired taste and apparently the protein she could "smell" while it was chilling in the maker was no longer present in the finished stuff!

Now that we know that we like the outcome, we've got plans for more batches. I want to make a very shallow pan of no-sugar-added cheesecake filling and chill it well--just filling, no crust, and about 1/2 inch deep. Then, I want to cut it into 1/4 inch cubes and freeze those in a ziploc baggie. Then, when making a "cheesecake" flavor of ice cream, you could drop some actual cheesecake cubes into the ice cream about 5 minutes before it is done and you'd REALLY have cheesecake ice cream! It would be similar to those danged Cheesequake Blizzards that DQ has!

How about a cookies n cream protein powder and crumble up a few no-sugar-added Oreos in there??? Not a lot of cookies, mind you, just enough to give it that texture and crunch! You could even scrape away the cream first!

I also shared this recipe over at ObesityHelp. Check out the comments there if you are interested!

1 comment:

Scott said...

Try this and tell me what you think!

http://rjsdadrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/07/cookies-and-cream-protien-ice-cream.html

Powered by WebRing®.