Thursday, July 10, 2008

Recipe: chicken and yellow rice

Okay, so I had chicken breast in the fridge for dinner... Wasn't really in the mood for any of the same-ole stuff. I chopped the chicken into pieces about 1 1/2 long and put them in the skillet with a bit of oil. I chopped in some fresh onion and green pepper. Then, I liberally sprinkled it all with Everglades Seasoning (a mix of spices that originates in a little FL town where I grew up but is available across the south), chili powder, garlic, and cumin. Then, I sauteed it all till the chicken was mostly cooked. Next, I poured in about 2 1/2 cups of water and brought it to a boil, scraping any chicken off the bottom, etc. After it was boiling, I stirred in a 5 oz package of Mahatma yellow rice dinner and a can of rinsed black beans. Cover and simmer for 20 mins till rice is completely done.
I will eat around the rice for the most part, but love the flavor. WITH the rice figured in though, this dish will be about the following for approx 1 cup of food:
calories--215
fat--1 gram (0 sat, 0 trans)
cholesterol--58
sodium--700
carbs--30 (4.5 fiber, 1 sugar)
protein--about 25 grams

Some folks do not do rice due to the carbs, etc. I do only in small quantities and after I've eaten the chicken, etc out of the dish. You could very easily saute just the veggies and chicken till well done and then add a can of diced tomatoes and the black beans and simmer it down a bit. That would be tasty too! It would greatly cut the carbs as well.... Another way to do it would be to add the black beans and about a cup of salsa after you sauteed the chicken and veggies and heat till hot all the way through.
Just thought I'd share!

No comments:

Powered by WebRing®.