Thursday, December 25, 2008

Review: Oh Yeah Vanilla Creme RTD Shake

Remember that this review is written by someone who hardly EVER likes a protein drink/shake product!

On Tuesday, I stopped by my surgeon's office to pick up something our support group leader left for me. When I get by there, which is not very often these days, I try to remember to check out his protein selection and look to see if he has anything new in the shoppe. Well, this time he did! And, I picked up a couple items to try. Item one was a ready-to-drink (RTD) protein shake made by Oh Yeah.
Not only do they sell them, but they also have a drink cooler and offer them pre-chilled for folks in the gym. So, I grabbed one of the cold ones and figured I could go ahead and try it as I headed out to finish my shopping. The stats looked pretty good. Just needed to pass a taste test.

32 grams of protein in this little 14 oz drink? Heck yeah! I asked the receptionist if she'd tried it before and she said, "Yeah, and I liked it a lot better than I did the Muscle Milk." Well, I didn't care much for the Muscle Milk RTD, so that sounded promising! I paid the lady and hit the road.

I had my daughter with me (mom to the worlds' greatest grandbaby), and we tried it together. It tasted like a thin vanilla milkshake. Even she liked it! I did not discern any real protein-y aftertaste either. 14 ozs is totally finishable even for someone just 3 or 4 months postop! In case that pic above is hard for you to read, one bottle is one serving.
Per serving numbers:
calories: 220
fat: 9 grams (1.5 sat, no trans)
total carbs: 4 grams (1 gram fiber, 3 grams sugar)
protein: a whopping 32 grams!

This was tasty. It was ice cold and refreshing too. I would definitely buy this one again. I will probably look somewhere else to purchase as doc's prices are usually a bit more than say GNC as he offers these items for convenience. It is also available in a chocolate milkshake flavor. I'm not huge on chocolate RTDs, so I may or may not try that one!

From the ISS website at http://ohyeahnutrition.com/rtd.php

The Best Tasting, Premium Quality Ready To Drink, Period.

Portable nutrition at the highest level, the OhYeah!® RTD delivers a pure and natural taste profile because it is made with fresh diafiltered milk. This high quality, clean taste wasn’t achieved with loads of sugar, preservatives or fat as the OhYeah!® RTD has only 3 grams of sugar and is lactose free. So delight your senses with 32 grams protein and flavors that will make you say…OhYeah!® It’s That Good®.

Available at health and vitamin stores, gyms and retailers nationwide.

Nutrition Facts




Product Name: Oh Yeah RTD Vanilla Creme Protein Drink

Product Type (meal replacement, protein bar, snack, etc):
meal replacement, protein shake

Where Can I Get/Find It? not sure locally, perhaps GNC PLUS several online retailers


Cost: single bottle is in the $3.49 to $3.69 each range, case of 12 is roughly $33 to $38


Pros: tastes great, ready to drink so makes a good "cooler" item but can store at room temp till opening, great to take to work and keep in fridge for a meal in a pinch, 32 whopping grams of protein in a 14 oz serving, lactose free for those postops who can't tolerate milk

Cons: a bit pricey for some at roughly $3 per serving

Overall Rating:
Yeah Baby! I'll definitely buy this one again!


1 comment:

OhYeah! Nutrition said...

Hey there Lea!

This is ISS Research, makers of the OhYeah! Protein Bar and Drink. We just wanted to say thank you for the awesome feedback. We've received an incredible positive response from the bariatric community and are excited to be working on the release of additional flavors this Spring! If you have questions, or just want to drop us a line, go to our website and hit the "contact us" link on the front page. We would love to hear from you!

Best regards,

ISS Research and the OhYeah! Team

Powered by WebRing®.