Thursday, February 26, 2009

New Drug for Chronic Constipation...Amitiza

While at my PCP this week, I read a brochure for a new drug called Amitiza. It is for chronic constipation. It says that it is recommended for folks who have constipation issues for unknown reasons and suggests that these reasons might include things like bowels that move too slowly and bowels that absorb too much of the water from the stool, thereby making it too dry and too hard to pass. It is not a laxative and the recommended dosing is a twice daily dosage. My doctor's office had coupons to redeem with a prescription for a free two week supply.

The drug is supposed to help you retain more water IN the stool or increase the bowel juices so that it is easier to pass the stools.

I emailed several other WLS postops and asked if they'd heard of this new drug or of anyone using it after WLS. One person responded that she had been prescribed this drug by her gastro doctor and that she had started taking it once a day but now took it twice a day with positive results/comments. Another person commented that the description of the drug gave her reason to worry about the stools retaining too much of the body water and the body then becoming dehydrated in turn... This wouldn't necessarily be a problem in a person who stays properly hydrated in the first place. I know that I drink over a gallon of fluids every day and would never worry about this.

I have the coupon and prescription from my doctor. I will be getting it filled this weekend and will give it a try. One concern I do have is that my current insurance (expiring this weekend) wants prior approval on this drug. I'm not quite sure what other drugs they expect you to have tried first... LOL But, I will have different insurance on June 1st, and perhaps they will have a more liberal stand on it. If they do not, this drug will not be an option for me as a 30 day supply was going to be well over $100...

3 comments:

constipation cause said...

Contrary to popular belief, there is no evidence that "toxins" accumulate when bowel movements are infrequent or that constipation leads to cancer.

chronic constipation said...

Constipation also can alternate with diarrhea. This pattern commonly occurs as part of the irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). At the extreme end of the constipation spectrum is fecal impaction, a condition in which stool hardens in the rectum and prevents the passage of any stool.

Erlend Hildur said...

Dr itua herbal medicine is mighty and genuine,I use to use Melissa oil and Lavender Healing herbs but result were just still the same.But using Doctor Itua herbal medicine cured my herpes & Hepatitis C and chronic constipation final and I have being living for 3 years now No Sores.My herpes is truly gone.Contact him if you interested of his herbal medicine too Dr itua can as well cure the following....HIV...HERPES,,,,HEPATITIS,CANCER,Neuro-infectious Disease,Neuromuscular Diseases,Diabetes,Depression,Anxiety,Hemorrhoid,Yeast infection,Lupus,Shingles,Psoriasis,Back Pain,ALS, Get ex back, Tinnitus.
drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com

Powered by WebRing®.