Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Recipe: Crockpot Chicken & More


I wasn't really sure what to call this one! It was sort of whatever-you-want-to-dump-in! I started out with 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast. I put that in the bottom of the crockpot. Then, I liberally added some Everglades Seasoning. Next, I peeled and sliced 3 big carrots and tossed those in on top of the chicken. Over to the fridge, open the door...what to add, what to add??? Oh, some sweet onion... I wedged up a sweet onion and dumped that in. Back to the fridge... Oh, the last of the sliced mushrooms! Toss those in there too. Next, I dumped in a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of cream of chicken soup. That looked good enough, so I put the lid on and turned it on high heat as it was already 2 pm.

At around 5 pm, I got to thinking about what else I could do with this crockpot of chicken and stuff... I decided I'd stir in my green veggie instead of doing it as a side. So, at about 6:20, I drained and added a can of green peas. Then, when I realized how much liquid was in there (more of a soup than a casserole), I decided to toss in a couple handfuls of Barilla Plus elbow pasta. I allowed that to cook for about 20 more minutes before I had to add about a cup of water to keep it from ending up too dry! From too liquidy to almost too dry in 20 minutes with the aid of about a cup of pasta! LOL Another 10 minutes or so and dinner was served! I'm calling it Chicken and More! LOL

Sorry for the crappy picture. I think that the lens on the camera steamed up when I pulled the lid off the crockpot!

SO, here it is in a more user-friendly recipe format!

Crockpot Chicken & More

ingredients:
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
seasoning
1 medium sweet onion, cut into wedges
3 very large carrots, peeled and sliced about 1/2 inch thick
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
fresh mushroom slices
1 can green peas, drained
1 cup Barilla Plus elbow pasta, uncooked
1 cup (more or less) water

directions:
Add chicken to crockpot and season.
Add carrots, onion, and mushrooms.
Pour soups in on top of it all.
Heat on high for 4 to 4 1/2 hours, but stir it all up at about 2 hours and 3 hours into the cooking time, working the chicken into more bite-sized chunks by sort of breaking it up with the spoon.
Stir well, then drain and add can of green peas, 1 cup uncooked pasta and 1 cup water.
Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, till pasta is completely cooked. More or less water may be added while cooking to achieve liquid amount of your choosing--less liquid is more like a casserole dish, more liquid is more of a soup or stew.

Alterations: You could use 1/2 to 3/4 cup of rice of your choice in place of the pasta. You might also leave out the pasta and water and serve this over rice or pasta. Another option is to make it thinner with more water and serve as a soup or stew with some piping hot cornbread on the side!

No comments:

Powered by WebRing®.